Saturday, 28 February 2009

House Hunting

My search for somewhere to live from April onwards continues apace, but I am starting to find the search a little stressful. I have never lived alone, so this is the first time I've viewed apartments knowing that it is my decision that is final. At university my source of income was fairly reasonable (parents, savings and student loan), council tax didn't need to be paid and all other bills were split three ways. I'm earning a reasonable wage now, but still it's difficult to be sure how much I can really afford.

So whenever I view a flat (which I'm doing again later today) I'm having to balance cost against all sorts of other parameters. Do I want to spend a little more for a bigger, nicer place? Or should I hold back so that I can spend a little more on furniture, bills and so on (I'm seriously considering going without a telephone landline and broadband, which may rather affect my blog rate)?

I appreciate that this is not particularly interesting to the average reader, but it is taking up a lot of my thinking time over this last month. Where once I might have been pondering a new post or poem, now I lie awake struggling with the complexities of interior design and just whether I can actually fit my parent's sofa up the stairs in the most recently viewed house.
With a bit of luck things will be sorted out in the next few days and things can return to some sort of normality...

...decisions...decisions

1 comment:

Kasia Ladds said...

It's awful how stressful all that stuff is isn't it - one of the biggest causes of stress actually, moving house. I know it sounds redundant to say so but you don't need to worry so much about it - just to regain a sense of perspective as that can help. And get internet! Could you really live without it?? Anyway, moving out is rather exciting! Maybe it's a girl thing but the idea of interior decor does excite me I have to say.. Hows the job going?